By 2030 60% of the world’s population or 4.9 billion people are expected to live in cities/urban areas. It is argued that urbanism is fundamentally changing the condition of humanity and our relationship to the earth. (Cities, People, Planet, 2004). The environmental impact of urban areas is putting a huge strain on our Earth’s resources and creating additional issues for the inhabitants of these areas such as loss of biodiversity and urban heat island effect.
We have designed this course to help inspire and connect you to exploring ways to support your city to be a more livable, green and an enjoyable place. Come, join and take part in sharing challenges and success stories of your local realities. With like-minded individuals explore good practice case study projects in the city of Manchester.
Do you live in a city and are faced with these environmental challenges? It can be both challenging and de-motivating to keep your green habits and lobby for change to bring in new initiatives in the big urban cities.
We believe it is possible that you can bring about a revolutionary change!
Young people across the globe are creating urban spaces where creativity, environmental and social action join together to inspire the local habitants, encourage municipalities and empower businesses to adapt greener practices. There are so many inspiring project ideas to tackle the environmental issues urban areas face, such as; creating urban gardens for growing food, leaving wilderness areas and creating spaces for interaction between humans and nature.
We have created this course for you, giving you a chance to:
- Analyze your environmental impact on living in a city, discover possibilities to reduce your urban footprint and bring new initiatives to your own community
- Explore ways how you can make a difference in your city using various activism tools, ranging from urban gardening to armchair activism using social media.
- Visit diverse inspiring local projects which encourage urban communities to be part of environmental projects and activities.
- Network among the like-minded individuals willing to transform their urban environments into more greener and sustainable places.
- Hear inspiring case studies of environmental urban projects across the Europe brought by fellow participants.
- Develop the concept of green urban citizenship.
- Share your skills, talents and stories about your past and current projects that are connected with environmental and youth projects and activities.
- Create project ideas for your local community in cooperation with other participant.
- Be inspired, supported and empowered by fellow participants, trainers and organizers.
Apply now for this exciting opportunity!
If you are a youth worker, youth leader, project manager, coordinator, environmental activist, curios volunteer, citizenship initiative enthusiast…..are over 18 and living in an urban area of a Youth in Action program (countries including EFTA and EEA countries, Neighboring partner countries- South East Europe and Eastern Europe and Caucasus) we are waiting to hear from you!
November 22, 2012
Phone: +44 2073894028